UNIVERSITY OF SZEGED
The University of Szeged (USz) is renowned for its rich traditions and great prestige among the Hungarian institutions of higher education. The university dates back to 1581, with the foundation of the Academia in Cluj (Kolozsvár). The Hungarian Royal University operated in Cluj until 1921, when it was relocated to Szeged.
Partnerships in research, quality education and innovation are integral parts of the University of Szeged, which in recent years has produced tangible results both in terms of joint efforts with businesses and cooperation with other actors of higher education. The University also works in close cooperation with the Hungarian Academy of Sciences in three key research areas, notably in the natural sciences and the humanities, as well as in medicine and pharmacology.
The Department of Physics at the University of Szeged, comprising five sub-departments, is the leading photonics-related higher education site in Hungary. This department began studying optics, lasers and their applications as early as in mid-1970s. The department offers many theoretical and laboratory courses in physics, optics, laser physics and related topics.
The most important research groups relevant to optics and lasers are the High Intensity Laser Laboratory, the Terawatt Ti:sapphire Laser Group (www.tewati.hu), the Laser-Matter Interaction Group and the Ablation Group.
A laser training laboratory was recently set up at the Department of Optics and Quantum Electronics, in the framework of the hELIos educational project.